Young boy dead after flood kills 5 in Terengganu
KUALA LUMPUR – The floods that hit Terengganu since three days ago have so far claimed six lives, three in Kemaman district, two in Setiu and one in Kuala Terengganu.
Setiu police chief, DSP Ab Rahman Raja Mohamad said a six-year-old boy, Nik Mohd Alfahmi Zailani, drowned while fixing a fishing net with his father at a canal near Kampung Kederang, Permaisuri, Wednesday.
“Nik Mohd Alfahmi’s body was found at 1am Thursday about 200 metres away from where he was reported missing, by villagers who mounted a search and rescue operation,” he told Bernama.
The boy’s body was sent to Setiu Hospital before it was claimed by his family for burial in Pasir Putih, Kelantan.
Another flood victim, Mohd Badrul Amin, 14, had slipped into a canal while washing a motorcycle in Kampung Kebor Besar, Manir, here, Wednesday .
Terengganu Fire and Rescue Department public relations officer Rozizah Ibni Hajar said in the incident at about 2.30pm, the victim and six friends were washing their motorcycles when he fell into the canal.
Rozizah said Mohd Badrul’s body was found at 5.15pm Wednesday, not far from the scene of the incident.
In Kemaman, the floods claimed the lives of Muhammad Hafiz Mohd Nasir, 14, and Mohd Ezani Hakim Mohammad, 15, who are believed to have drowned while playing in the floodwaters near their homes in Kampung Hilir Pasir Gajah.
Kemaman district police chief, Supt Che Suza Che Hitam said the bodies of the two students of Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Dadong were found at about 10.30pm Wednesday by villagers with the help of police and firemen.
He said the floods in the district also claimed the life of Mohd Hamidi Abdul Hamid, 15, at the Bukit Mentok housing area Wednesday.
The first flood victim in Terengganu was Samhanim Ramli, 36, who drowned while fixing a fishing net at Sungai Lanjut, Setiu on Tuessday.
The flood situation in Terengganu and Kelantan, which had turned for the better in the morning, however, nose-dived in the afternoon with a drastic increase in the number of evacuees, from 14,930 victims to 21,800 this afternoon.
This morning some 4,000 people had been allowed to return to their homes in the flood-hit east coast states of Terengganu, Kelantan and Pahang after the floods started to ebb.
The Drainage and Irrigation Department’s said Sungai Golok at Rantau Panjang, Kelantan and Sungai Dungun at Jambatan Jerangau, Terengganu again breached the danger level at 5pm Thursday.
However, there was improvement in Pahang with the number of flood evacuees dropping to 435 people Thursday afternoon as compared to 994 in the morning whereas in Johor no new evacuees were reported and only 13 people remained in shelters.
In Terengganu, the number of victims sheltered at relief centres nearly doubled to 14,894 people as of 5pm as compared to 8,173 in the morning.
According to the state government’s flood portal, five new flood relief centres (FRCs) were opened bringing the total number of FRCs in Terengganu to 76 now.
In Kemaman the number of victims sheltered at FRCs now stands at 9,601, Dungun (4,026) , Kuala Terengganu (935), Setiu (185), Hulu Terengganu (104), Besut (31) and Marang (12).
Meanwhile, Malaysian Armed Forces chief General Tan Sri Zulkifeli Mohd Zin, who accompanied Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassinon a visit to flood victims sheltered at Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Bukit Mentok near Kemaman, said he had issued instructions to mobilise more armed forces personnel to complement relief efforts in the flood-stricken states.
In Kelantan, according to the state government’s flood portal, the number evacuees rose to about 7,000 people involving 2,197 families Thursday afternoon as compared to 6,757 victims in the morning.
They are being sheltered at 28 FRCs.
Pasir Mas is still the worst hit district in the state with 4,279 evacuees followed by Tumpat (2,329), Kota Baru (247) and Pasir Puteh (145).
The FRCs in Machang, Tanah Merah and Kuala Krai have ceased operations and all roads in Kelantan are reported to be passable to all traffic.
In Pahang, a spokesman at the flood operations room at the state police headquarters in Kuantan said 391 victims from 92 families still remained at four FRCs in the state capital while 44 people from nine families had yet to be allowed to return to their homes in Pekan.
He added that all major roads in the state were also now passable to all vehicles. – Bernama