Two men who witnessed the fatal shooting of D Dinesh refused to give a statement

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

KUALA LUMPUR – The two men who witnessed the fatal shooting of their friend D Dinesh by Ampang police last week, have refused to give a statement, citing potential conflict of interest on the part of cops from that station.

Lawyer N Surendran said K Moses, and Y Ilavarasen will only give their statement to an “independent investigating team” from police headquarters Bukit Aman.

“The officers involved in the shootout were from the Ampang police station, and the investigating officers are from the (same station),” he said when contacted.

Dinesh was shot at the traffic lights near Ampang Waterfront in the wee hours of Aug 2, and died two days later at Hospital Ampang.

His two friends lodged a police report on the incident at the Tropicana police station on Monday.

Refuting police accounts, they said Dinesh had stepped out of his Proton Perdana empty-handed when his car was intercepted by unmarked cars.

The duo, who were driving separate cars to join Dinesh for supper in the area, said their friend was “running back” to his car when shot by plainclothes personnel who did not identify themselves.

They said that police gave “no warning” before firing at least 10 rounds of ammunition in a “haywire” fashion and looked as if they were shooting “to kill”.
‘Clean Exit of Bullet’

Surendran also said that Hospital Kuala Lumpur pathologist Dr Norliza Abdullah who conducted the post-mortem on Aug 23, had told the family that the bullets had “cleanly exited” the body.

He said the pathologist informed him that one bullet entered behind Dinesh’s right ear, in the mastoid area of the brain, went through his cerebellum and exited behind his left ear.

“The bullet exited cleanly through the other side. The trajectory was horizontal,” said Surendran, who is also acting on behalf of Dinesh’s family.

The lawyer, who is also PKR vice-president, said the other bullet entered and exited Dinesh’s right arm.

The post-mortem report is expected to be released in a month’s time, he added.

According to reports by Malay-language dailies Kosmo! and Harian Metro, police claimed that Dinesh was in a 14-car convoy comprising members of the ‘Viva Nanda’ gang.

The convoy was purportedly on the way to Pandan Permai to resume a fight that had broken out earlier on Aug 21.

The police claimed that the driver of the car in which Dinesh was travelling, had tried to rear-end a police car, and that other passengers had jumped out with parangs and smashed the windows of the police vehicle.

MD (MKini)