Tahfiz school lacked safety requirements – Tengku Adnan
Kuala Lumpur – The residential building of the Darul Quran Ittifaqiyah Tahfiz Centre in Jalan Keramat Hujung here, which caught fire early today, reportedly lacked the safety requirements said Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor.
He said based on his observation together with the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) at the scene, the premises had only one exit, which would be dangerous in the event of an emergency.
“The owner and management of the tahfiz centre were also found to have no approval from the Fire and Rescue Department and DBKL to operate the tahfiz centre and carry out activities on the premises,” he said when met at the scene.
The tahfiz centre had 42 students, six teachers and two wardens.
Twenty-one students and two wardens were reportedly killed in the fire which broke out at 5.15am while seven were injured.
Tengku Adnan also offered his condolences to the families of the victims who perished in the fire and said he was ready to provide necessary assistance to the victims.
Deputy Education Minister Datuk P. Kalalanathan said the private religious school was registered with the Federal Territory Islamic Religious Council.
Meanwhile, in KUALA BERANG, Terengganu Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Razif Abdul Rahman also conveyed his condolences to the families of the victims who perished in the fire.
“The state government and the people of Terengganu are deeply saddened by the incident. I have instructed the Terengganu authorities to inspect all the school buildings to avoid any short circuit,” he told reporters at the Kenyir Festival 2017 at Pengkalan Gawi, Tasik Kenyir here.
In ALOR SETAR, the Kedah Government through the Kedah Islamic Religious Department (JAIK) would work with the state Fire and Rescue Department to provide information on safety and fire issues to 104 religious schools in the state.
State Religion, Tourism, Heritage and Public Works Committee chairman Datuk Mohd Rawi Abd Hamid said periodic explanations must continue to be given to the students.
“There are young students who do not know what to do if there was a fire, that is why early and periodic exposure should be given to the students and the management of such schools,” he said.
Mohd Rawi also urged the management of the schools to carry out electrical inspection twice a year. – Bernama