Police have rearrested two robbery and car theft suspects
KOTA KINABALU, May 4 (Bernama) — Police have rearrested two robbery and car theft suspects who escaped from the police lock-up here on Monday.
Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib said the suspects, aged 22 and 28, were arrested in Beaufort, about 100km from here, at 9am and 2pm yesterday, following a tip-off.
The duo were among a group of five detainees who had bolted from their lock-up at the Kota Kinabalu police headquarters after attacking the policemen on duty.
Three of them, aged between 20 and 35, were rearrested in the city within an hour.
Hamza said three policemen had been detained for three days to facilitate investigations into the case.
He said police were investigating the case under the Penal Code for escaping from custody and causing hurt, as well as for robbery.
He added that police would carry out an internal investigation into the matter and would scrutinise the closed-circuit television footage on the day of the incident.
Meanwhile, Hamza said police received 11 reports against a gold investment scheme operated by a company from the peninsula.
He said the reports were made by a group of individuals two weeks ago claiming that they had suffered losses of between RM3,000 and RM100,000 after investing in the scheme run by the company.
“Following the report, police arrested a 44-year-old local man believed to be the manager of the company,” he said, adding however that initial investigation showed that the company was operating legally.
Nevertheless, he said, police would continue with their investigation.
He also called on rally organisers to abide by the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012 and to choose an alternative site if their application to gather at a certain place was rejected.
“We don’t want to see chaos in Sabah like what happened during the rally in Kuala Lumpur last week,” he said.