No seat for Khir Toyo in PRU13
KUALA LUMPUR: Former Selangor Mentri Besar Dr Mohamad Khir Toyo confirmed on Thursday that he will not contest in the upcoming 13th general election.
“I just want to focus on my family and relax. No other reasons,” he told Bernama here.
When asked whether his decision was approved by Umno members and the people in his Sungai Besar constituency, Dr Mohamad Khir said it was a non-issue.
“We can persuade them to give their supports to the new candidate. That’s not a problem,” said the dentist who was appointed Selangor Mentri Besar on Aug 18, 2000, at the age of 35 and the youngest in the state’s history.
Dr Mohamad Khir also said that he would not contest in the next general election as his court case concerning the purchase of properties worth RM3.5mil in Section 7, Shah Alam was still in the appeal process.
The Shah Alam High Court had, on Dec 23 last year, found him guilty of the charge and sentenced him to a year’s jail.
However, the court granted a stay of execution of the sentence pending his appeal. – Bernama