No relocation of Muslim graves; but Chinese cemeteries need to be relocated
JOHOR BARU: The Johor mentri besar has clarified there has been no relocation of Muslim graves to make way for the construction of the RM60bil Refinery and Petrochemical Intergrated Complex (Rapid) project in Pengerang.
In a statement issued here on Monday, Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman also clarified that the state government was working closely with the Chinese associations to find an amicable solution to the relocation of Chinese cemeteries.
“There has been no relocation of Muslim graves. As for Chinese cemeteries, the state government is working closely with Chinese associations to find an amicable solution to the relocation of the graves,” he said.
He was responding to media reports on the Rapid project and the relocation of Chinese graves by Johor MCA deputy chairman Datuk Hoo Seong Chang on Sunday.
Hoo, when met by reporters, said the Johor MCA would meet family members linked to the 3,000 Chinese graves, which would be affected by the relocation.
Abdul Ghani also clarified Sunday’s news reports that stated that 100-odd police reports had been received by the Kota Tinggi police from Pengerang residents on the issue of the grave relocation.
According to him, the police reports were not exclusively on the grave issue, but also included cumulative reports covering other matters, pertaining to the Pengerang oil and gas developments. – Bernama