Fatwa Council had only embarrassed the Muslim community.
May 8: The government-controlled National Fatwa Council has been warned that it would be the next institution to face public contempt following its statement forbidding any rally against an elected government.
According to PAS deputy president Mohamad Sabu (pic), the Council had only embarrassed the Muslim community.
“A fatwa must go through proper research and fair consultation. The council members have embarrassed Muslims because they make conclusion before investigating,” he said.
Mat Sabu said as a result of such a “careless” decree, there would be implications on Islam and Muslims.
“If Islam is now accused as a religion that punishes without full and fair investigation, this Fatwa council must be held responsible for such a bad perception about Islam,” he added.
Abdul Shukor Husin who heads the National Fatwa Council had earlier declared as haram (forbidden) any gathering or demonstration against the law, and accused participants of the Bersih 3.0 rally on April 28 of “rioting”. His statement has been compared to Egypt’s government-funded Islamic authorities in January last year forbidding protests against the regime of Hosni Mubarak, just days before the dictator announced his resignation amid widescale protests.
Both PAS Murshidul Am Tuan Guru Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat and its Ulama wing head Ustaz Harun Taib lashed out at the council, defending the Bersih rally for electoral reforms as fulfilling the Islamic obligation to enjoin good and forbid evil.
Mat Sabu urged the Council to state their stand on the abuses of the country’s electoral system.
He said while majority of Malaysians can see through the government propaganda, members of the fatwa council chose to be “spoon-fed by UMNO”.