Confirmed certain parties wanted deaths during Bersih 3.0
KUALA LUMPUR: Certain people wanted to cause injuries and even death during Bersih 3.0, revealed Deputy Inspector General of Police Datuk Seri Khalid Abu Bakar.
He said police had video evidence of a man making such threats and was willing to provide the media with the video clip.
“There are indeed certain parties that wanted to see injuries and even deaths to occur and it is not just the minister who said it last week. We have the evidence to back up our claims,” he told a press conference here.
Khalid said police had a video recording that showed an individual making remarks about deaths during the Bersih rally.
In the video he said a man was heard saying that even if five people died it would not matter.
He said the media could get a copy and help police identify the individual.
To a question Khalid said that no action had been taken against the individual yet as he did not break any law.
On the Berish individuals being sought by police, the deputy IGP said they have been given until Tuesday to surrender, failing which, police would go after them and a warrant was not required for their arrest.
He said, so far, 21 people whose photograph was highlighted in the newspapers had either surrendered or were arrested.
Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein had said last week that his biggest fear ahead of the April 28 rally for free and fair elections was the possibility of serious injuries and fatalities.
He said he was relieved there were none.
“But there were some parties who wanted that to happen,” he said. – The Star