92 people evacuated,floods hit Dungun
DUNGUN – A total of 92 people from 16 families in three villages here were evacuated since Saturday night when floods hit the district.
Seven of the families, involving 39 people, are from the Kampung Bukit Gendut Housing Project for the Hardcore Poor (PPRT), Pulai Serai, and they were evacuated to the relief centre at Sekolah Rendah Pulau Serai at 9pm.
Six families, comprising 33 people, are from Kampung Tanjung Pagar Lima, and the three remaining families (20 people) are from Kampung Seberang Pintasan. They were evacuated to the community hall in their respective villages.
Dungun Member of Parliament Datuk Matulidi Jusoh, when met after visiting the victims on Sunday, said floods hit the villages following heavy rain since 6am Saturday.
The water in Sungai Pimpin also overflowed its banks and caused flooding at the Bukit Gendut PPRT, he added. He advised residents in flood-prone areas to evacuate when asked to do so by the relevant authorities, and to also not allow their young children to play in the floods.
Meanwhile, one of the flood victims, Raihan Deraman, 48, of the Bukit Gendut PPRT, said water began entering her house at 7pm and this was the second time that her family had to evacuate due to the since they occupied the house three years ago.
She said the family had made preparations in anticipation of the flood, like placing their furniture on high ground, as well as ensure safe keeping of important documents.
In KOTA BARU, Kelantan, residents in low-lying areas, especially along the rivers, have been advised to be prepared in the event of a flood in the state.
Kelantan Fire and rescue Department director, Azmi Osman, issued the advice following continuous rain since last week and report of the river water rising.
“They should be prepared and to evacuate when the need arises without having to wait for instructions to do so,” he said when met by reporters after the department’s monthly assembly on Sunday. – Bernama