klpost

27-year-old man, absconds after committing rape

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

GEORGE TOWN  –  Police have placed a 27-year-old man, who absconded after he allegedly raped a then 13-year-old girl three years ago, high on its wanted list.

The alleged incident came to light again after the girl’s father lodged a report at the state Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) headquarters last Friday, claiming the police had yet to take action to arrest the man.

The girl’s father had lodged a police report following the alleged rape against his daughter, who gave birth to a boy in 2010.

State Criminal Investigations Department chief SAC Mazlan Kesah clarified that the police had acted by visiting Mohd Hazri Abdul Ghafur’s house here on six occasions but could not find him.

“He has eluded us so far but we are stepping up our effort to track him down.

“We believe the man is still in Malaysia but not in Penang,” Mazlan said.

Mazlan said police had re-circulated Mohd Hazri’s picture and urged the public who have information on his whereabouts to contact the nearest police station.

Meanwhile, police have busted five gambling dens in separate raids with the arrests of 82 locals and foreigners, including 23 women since last week.

Of the total, seven are Indonesian women and one an Indonesian man.

Mazlan said the team raided the dens located in secluded spots and within the premises from Dec 10 to 17 following tip-offs.

Mazlan said the five spots were in Bukit Mertajam, Bukit Tengah, Seberang Jaya, Kubang Semang and in the inner city of George Town on the island.

He said the team seized about RM36,000 in cash, playing cards and related gambling equipment.

All detainees were released on police bail.

In another unrelated development, police have picked up another four men linked to the microchip heist in Seberang Prai Tengah in October.

Mazlan said the four were in addition to nine men who pleaded not guilty at the Sessions Court to armed robbery involving microchips worth RM22 million at a factory in Bukit Tengah Industrial Estate, Seberang Perai on Oct 7.

In two separate proceedings, four of the men were charged with armed robbery and the other five with possession of the stolen goods.

Mazlan said of the four, one was previously detained under the Emergency Ordinance with two armed robbery offences.

They have been remanded until Friday to assist in police investigations.  –  NST